Life moves constantly forward. However, we can slow down the aging process. Anti-aging doesn’t have to mean turning to cosmetic surgery or harsh skin treatments. There is a trend now to focus on anti-aging from within. In truth, lifestyle choices have the biggest impact. Each day in the office, see over you will hear talk of prevention regarding the health of the spine. This is what I do as a chiropractor: maintain mobility so that you can fully participate in life. There are additional efforts we can make to age gracefully:
- Drink green tea. Research shows it can protect you from cancer and build your resistance to heart disease and dementia.
- Improve your diet. Eat fresh vegetable, fruit and whole grains. Vitamins C and E and also omega 3 fatty acids are essential.
- Protect your skin from the sun. Use a moisturizer combined with a broad spectrum sunscreen.
- Quit smoking. Smoking encourages the destruction of collagen which is one of the main reasons your skin ages.
- Take supplements. Boost your daily anti-oxidant intake with vitamins A, C, E and selenium.
- Exercise more. Exercise will give you more energy, build muscle mass, increase blood flow to the skin, reduce anxiety, strengthen bones, help prevent high blood pressure and raise your metabolic rate.
- Get enough sleep. When you sleep the body releases growth hormone which stimulates cell turn over. This, subsequently, slows the aging process.
- Lessen stress. Stress hormones suppress the immune system and accelerate the aging process.
- Drink more water. All cells in your body, including those of the skin, brain and joints, require sufficient water to ensure nutrients are delivered to the various body systems.